Ashwaganda is a herb often used in traditional medicine of India. The most common part used in supplements is form its roots.
Ashwagandha suppresses stress and anxiety during gaming. This is because Ashwangandha reduces the cortisol concentration during mental stress. In addition, Ashwagandha also has a calming effect due to the anti-anxiety. This effect was established in several human studies in which subjects were exposed to mental stress.
- Suppresses stres and anxiety
- Has a calming effect
- Archana R, Namasivayam A. Antistressor effect of Withania somnifera. J Ethnopharmacol. 1999 Jan;64(1):91-3
- Bhattacharya SK, Bhattacharya A, Sairam K, Ghosal S. Anxiolytic-antidepressant activity of Withania somnifera glycowithanolides: an experimental study. Phytomedicine. 2000 Dec;7(6):463-9
- Chengappa KN, Bowie CR, Schlicht PJ, Fleet D, Brar JS, Jindal R. Randomized placebo-controlled adjunctive study of an extract of withania somnifera for cognitive dysfunction in bipolar disorder. J Clin Psychiatry. 2013 Nov;74(11):1076-83.
- Ghosal S, Lal J, Srivastava R, and et al. Immunomodulatory and CNS effects of sitoindosides 9 and 10, two new glycowithanolides from Withania somnifera. Phytotherapy Research 1989;3(5):201-206.
- Jahanbakhsh SP, Manteghi AA, Emami SA, Mahyari S, Gholampour B, Mohammadpour AH, Sahebkar A. Evaluation of the efficacy of Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha) root extract in patients with obsessive-compulsive disorder: A randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial. Complement Ther Med. 2016 Aug;27:25-9.
- Mishra LC, Singh BB, Dagenais S. Scientific basis for the therapeutic use of Withania somnifera (ashwagandha): a review. Altern Med Rev. 2000 Aug;5(4):334-46.
- Upton R, ed. Ashwagandha Root (Withania somnifera): Analytical, quality control, and therapuetic monograph. Santa Cruz, CA: American Herbal Pharmacopoeia 2000:1-25.